Did you know your college ID or email address could be worth money in your pocket? It’s true.
Flashing your student ID or ponying up an email address with .edu at the end could land you some pretty amazing discounts, online or in-person.
Taking advantage of those savings could mean that you’ll have more money to put toward your education, so you can avoid borrowing more than you really need.
Here are 50 deals and discounts you may be eligible for just for being a college student. (Obviously discount offers may change at any time, so be sure to confirm them in advance if you’re making a large purchase.)
A little bit of everything
Let’s start with a bit of one-stop shopping, shall we?
1. Before you go searching for individual discounts, head on over to UNiDAYS and sign up for an account. Doing so can land you discounts on everything from big-name clothing brands to big-name tech products. You can even make money on this site—you’ll get $5 for every friend you refer.
Many tech retailers offer discounts that could save you several hundred dollars on big-ticket items.
2. If you’re jonesing for some new Apple products, be sure to purchase through their online education shop. You’ll need a verifiable .edu email address to score student pricing.
3. Or, if Apple isn’t your thing, check out the student deals at Dell, on their Dell University site, or …
4. Check out student savings from Microsoft.
5. Best Buy also has deals just for students.
6. Anyone majoring in photography or design may want to score some Adobe products for up to 60% off.
7. T-Mobile sometimes has offers for up to $100 new lines for students.
Deals on your duds
Need to build that back-to-campus wardrobe? Many retailers offer college discounts online and in-person. (Tip: before you buy online, search for the name of the store and “student discount.” These deals change all the time, so don’t get discouraged if the first URL you click on doesn’t work. If you’re in the store, ask about discounts before you pay.) You may be eligible for 10%-20% off your purchase at retailers like these, who run frequent deals for students:
8. Alex and Ani
9. Ann Taylor
11. Banana Republic
13. Club Monaco
15. Eastern Mountain Sports
18. Kate Spade
19. The Limited
20. Medelita (for med students)
Want to cover those cinder block walls? Here are some resources you can use to decorate your room without spending a fortune.
24. Get some vintage swag to liven up your dorm room. Hit up your local Goodwill for a 10% discount.
25. Enjoy the easy online ordering and massive inventory of Amazon, with six months of Amazon Prime for free. You’ll be eligible for free two-day shipping on a boatload of different items, easy returns, and (bonus!) a host of free streaming TV and movie options.
Reading & News
Whether it’s textbooks, current events, or classic literature, there are plenty of ways to save money on the words that will inspire you.
26. Use the Amazon discount above and stock up on reading material for assignments or for pleasure.
27. Barnes and Noble offers up to 80% off on used and rentable textbooks.
28. The New York Times offers a free four-week student subscription, with subsequent weeks for only $1.00.
29. Check out The Wall Street Journal for only $1.00 per week for 15 weeks.
30. Get a free student subscription to The Washington Post.
These restaurants will give you a discount of up to 10% with your college ID (at participating locations):
32. Buffalo Wild Wings
33. Burger King
34. Dairy Queen
37. Papa John's
These fine eating establishments will toss a free beverage your way:
Entertainment and tunes
See a show, visit a museum, or rock out to your favorite band for a fraction of the regular price.
43. Stream your favorite music with Spotify Premium at a 50% discount of $4.99 per month.
44. If Spotify isn’t your thing, get Apple Music for the same price.
45. Movies, plays, museums, and local attractions of any kind … don’t you dare buy a ticket without asking if there’s a student discount first.
Hittin' the road (or rails)
Going to school a long way from home? Or maybe you just want to use your summer breaks to see a little more of the world … in any case, student discounts abound.
46. Ride Amtrak for 15% off.
47. Greyhound’s Student Advantage Card allows you to save 10% on every fare.
48. Nab student rates for flights, hotels and tours at Student Universe.
49. Go to Europe, Cuba, Thailand, or any number of locations with affordable trips from STA Travel.
50. Travelosophy specializes in finding cheap, flexible airfare for students.
Paying for college
If you’re looking for discounts on your college tuition, you can always enter to win a $5,000 scholarship from Nitro.
You might also want to check out the latest deals in private student loans from our trusted and highly vetted lending partners.
Get smart about your college finances. We’re here to help.