To help you fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), prepare all of the required documents and follow our question-by-question guide. If you need more help from our financial aid expert, sign up here for a free printable FAFSA guide.
Information you’ll need to fill out the FAFSA:
- Your FSA ID, which you can create on fsaid.ed.gov. Note that students and parents will need to create their own FSA ID and keep it private.
- Your social security number and driver’s license, and/or alien registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen.
- Your federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned.
- Your parents income tax returns, W-2 forms and 1040 forms if you’re a dependent.
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable).
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable).
- Title IV Institution Codes for each school you’re applying to, which you can find from the FAFSA federal school code search.