How to Answer FAFSA Question #26-28: Students Education Details

Return To FAFSA Guide
26. What will your high school completion status be when you begin college in the 2020-2021 school year?
  • High school diploma. Answer question 27.
  • General Educational Development (GED) certificate or state certificate Skip to question 28.
  • Homeschooled Skip to question 28.
  • None of the above Skip to question 28.
27. What is the name of the high school where you received or will receive your high school diploma?
Enter the complete high school name, and the city and state where the high school is located.
  • High School Name ____________________
  • High School City ____________________
  • State _______
28. Will you have your first bachelor’s degree before you begin the 2020-2021 school year?
  • Yes
  • No

Why are they asking this information?

This section aims to determine your level of high school completion, undergraduate, graduate, or professional schooling prior to enrolling in an institute of higher learning. This will help to determine your dependency status, which will also determine your eligibility for federal financial aid.

How to answer this question / fill out this section

You will select either “high school diploma,” “GED certificate or state authorized high school equivalent certificate,” or “home schooled” from the drop down menu. You will need to have completed whichever option you select prior to enrolling and attending your college of choice.


Please check back shortly as we are currently updating this step-by-step guide for the 2019-2020 FAFSA.