What income tax return did you file or will you file for 2018?
- IRS 1040
- IRS 1040A or 1040EZ
- A foreign tax return. See Notes page 9.
- A tax return with Puerto Rico, another U.S. territory, or Freely Associated State. See Notes page 9
34. For 2018, what is or will be your tax filing status according to your tax return?
- Head of household
- Married—filed joint return
- Married—filed separate return
- Qualifying widow(er)
- Don't know
Why are they asking this information?
This question is asked to help the Department of Education verify your tax filing status, as it appears on your Federal tax return.
How to answer this question / fill out this section
You will select one of the following options from the drop down menu:
- Single (Unmarried/Divorced, but not remarried)
- Head of Household (If you pay for more than half of the household expenses of your dependent(s), and have been unmarried for the last year)
- Married - Filed Joint Return
- Married - Filed Separate Return
- Qualifying Widow(er)
- Don’t Know (If you do not know, you can reference the first page of your Federal Tax Return, where it is listed under your address)