Return To FAFSA Guide
55. Does someone other than your parent or stepparent have legal guardianship of you, as determined by a court in your state of legal residence? See Notes page 10.
  • Yes
  • No

Why are they asking this information?

This question about Legal Guardianship will help to determine if you are to be considered a dependent or independent student for Federal financial aid, specifically.

How to answer this question / fill out this section

If you have a legal guardian who is not a biological parent and deemed as such by a court, then you will be considered “independent.” This means that you do not have to provide any biological parent (or guardian) information in your FAFSA, and may move along. Otherwise, even if you are over the age of 18, you are still considered a “dependent” student for Federal financial aid purposes. This will remain the case even if your relationship with your parent(s) is not intact.

Additional Considerations

You may want to contact your school’s financial aid office if your circumstance warrants such a condition that you may need to remove yourself from your parent’s custody.

John Haggerty lives in Philadelphia and is currently employed at Swarthmore College, located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, and comes in ranked #4 in the 2017 edition of Best Colleges in National Liberal Arts Colleges. He has 8 years experience in financial aid. John loves working in higher education knowing that he might play a small part in helping students along their path through college and into the world.


Want The Answers To Every FAFSA Question?

Here's A Step-By-Step Guide From Our Financial Aid Expert!