Did you know your college ID or email address could be worth money in your pocket? It’s true.
Flashing your student ID or ponying up an email address with .edu at the end could land you some pretty amazing discounts, online or in-person.
Taking advantage of those savings could mean that you’ll have more money to put toward your education, so you can avoid borrowing more than you really need.
Here are 65 deals and discounts you may be eligible for just for being a college student.
Obviously discount offers may change at any time, so be sure to confirm them in advance if you’re making a large purchase.
A little bit of everything
Let’s start with a bit of one-stop shopping, shall we? There are two sites/apps to check out that can save you a LOT of time.
1. Before you go searching for individual discounts, download the UNiDAYS app. Doing so can land you discounts on everything from big-name clothing brands to big-name tech products.
2. StudentBeans is your student discount hub for everything from clothes to tech to healthy snacks! (Who doesn't love some cheap eats?) You can create an account on desktop or via your mobile device.
Tech and software
Many tech retailers offer discounts that could save you several hundred dollars on big-ticket items.
3. If you’re jonesing for some new Apple products, be sure to purchase through their online education shop. If you buy from their education store, you simply choose the product you want and purchase it. No need to show ID or prove you're a student. That said, Apple may email you to ask for verification if they suspect you're not a student.
4. Or, if Apple isn’t your thing, check out the student deals at Dell, on their Dell University site. You must have a valid .edu email address to qualify.
6. Who needs a printer? Through the HP Student Store, college students can get discounts on various HP products.
7. Best Buy also has deals just for students. Simply create an account and sign up for student deals. You'll receive coupon codes via email that are good online and in-store.
8. Anyone majoring in photography or design may want to score some Adobe products for up to 60% off.
9. Lenovo offers up to 5% off their computer products, including laptops and tablets.
10. T-Mobile sometimes offers students two lines for $100.
11. AT&T sometimes offers student discounts. Visit their discount site and enter your student email address to find out if you're eligible for any of their current deals.
12. Verizon offers student discounts, but they don't come right out and say it. You need to go to their discount page and scroll to the bottom. Enter your .edu email in the "work address" field and they'll email you if you're eligible.
Clothing, shoes, and accessories
Need to build that back-to-campus wardrobe? Many retailers offer college discounts online and in-person. (Tip: before you buy online, search for the name of the store and “student discount.” These deals change all the time, so don’t get discouraged if the first URL you click on doesn’t work. If you’re in the store, ask about discounts before you pay.)
You may be eligible for 10%-20% off your purchase at retailers like these, who run frequent deals for students (please note that the discounts below may change at any time):
13. ASOS: 10% off with valid student email
14. Banana Republic: 15% off in stores with a valid ID
15. Boohoo: Up to 50% off with StudentBeans account
16. Club Monaco: 15% off via email code to shop online or present ID in stores
17. Dockers: 20% off through UNiDAYS
18. Express: 5% off online and in-store, must have UNIDAYS account
19. Forever 21: 15% off with UNiDAYS account
20. Frye: 15% off, must have UNiDAYS account
21. J. Crew: 15% off online for students and teachers with valid ID
22. Kate Spade: 15% off online, must have UNIDAYS account
23. Medelita (for medical and dental students): 20% after you send a pic of your student ID
24. Madewell: 15% off online (need to sign up for a Madewell Insider account first) or in stores with valid student or teacher ID
25. TOMS: 15% off with UNiDAYS account
26. Topshop: 10% off with StudentBeans account
Decorate your dorm décor
Want to jazz up those cinder block walls? You know you do. Here are some resources you can use to decorate your room without spending a fortune.
27. Get some vintage swag to liven up your dorm room. Many Goodwill locations offer a 10%-20% student discount on certain days of the week. Call your local store for details.
28. Enjoy the easy online ordering and massive inventory of Amazon, with six months of Amazon Prime for free. You’ll be eligible for free two-day shipping on a boatload of different items, easy returns, and (bonus!) a host of free streaming TV and movie options.
29. JOANN, the fabrics and craft store offers “student discount days” with 20% off for college students with a valid student ID. Check your local store for details.
30. If you need furniture for your dorm or apartment, Pottery Barn has you covered. They offer a 15% discount for students with a valid .edu email of student ID.
Books, magazines, and news
Whether it’s textbooks, current events, or classic literature, there are plenty of ways to save money on the words that will inspire you.
31. Use the Amazon discount above and stock up on reading material for assignments or for pleasure.
32. Barnes and Noble offers up to 80% off on used and rental textbooks, and 40% off new textbooks. (They also have a buyback program for textbooks you no longer need.)
33. The New York Times offers a student subscription for $1 a week—almost 75% off the regular rate
34. You can get digital-only access to The Wall Street Journal for only $4 per month ( or $24 for the year). For a digital+print package, the cost is only $10 per month.
35. Get a Basic Digital subscription to The Washington Post for only $1/week and then $5 per month after that. You must verify your student status to be eligible.
Eating on the go
It's always a good idea to show your student ID at any store or restaurant. Discounts for food abound but aren’t always well-advertised.
These restaurants are known to give a student discount of up to 10% with your college ID (at participating locations).
37. Buffalo Wild Wings—get a free “sharable” with a purchase of $5 or more (for students from participating universities)
38. Burger King—get a discount and voucher codes with your StudentBeans account
39. Dairy Queen
40. Domino's—35% discount with a StudentBeans account
41. Dunkin Donuts
42. McDonald's—show your UNiDAYS ID at checkout to get a free cheeseburger, hamburger, or McFlurry
43. Papa John's—get a discount and voucher codes with your StudentBeans account
46. Chipotle—get a discount and voucher codes with your StudentBeans account
Entertainment and music
See a show, visit a museum, or rock out to your favorite band for a fraction of the regular price.
48. Stream your favorite music free for one month with Spotify Premium and then at a 50% discount of $4.99 per month. Plus, they're throwing in Hulu and Showtime as a bonus.
49. If Spotify isn’t your thing, get a discount with Apple Music for up to 48 months and you’ll also have access to AppleTV+. UNiDAYS will confirm your student status.
50. Movies, plays, museums, and local attractions of any kind … always ask before about student discounts before you buy a ticket. Many have special discounts for students but don’t necessarily promote them.
Hittin' the road (or rails)
Going to school a long way from home? Or maybe you just want to use your summer breaks to see a little more of the world … in any case, student discounts abound.
51. Ride Amtrak for up to 25% off at select Amtrak stations. You can book them online or check with your local station
52. Greyhound's Student Advantage program allows you to save up to 10% on every fare.
53. Nab student rates for flights, hotels and tours at Student Universe.
54. Travelosophy specializes in finding cheap, flexible airfare for students.
Banking and financial services
Many banks offer free checking accounts and other discounts to college students.
55. U.S. Bank offers students free checking with no regular fees as long as you enroll in e-statements.
56. Chase offers free student checking plus a $100 bonus for opening an account.
57. Several insurance companies offer discounts to students. If you're no longer on your parents' car insurance, check out some of the bigger insurance companies (Allstate, Geico, Farmers, and Nationwide) for student discounts of up to 20%.
58. If you're looking to buy a new or used car, GM offers a college discount program.
Health and fitness
59. Most 24 Hour Fitness gyms offer student memberships. Check with your local facility for more information.
60. GlassesUSA offers a student discount online for prescription glasses through UNiDAYS.
61. Penske offers a 10% discount to college students, along with some other sweet discounts.
62. Budget Truck Rental offers a student discount of 15%-20% off local and one-way moves.
63. FedEx offers discounts of 20%-30% for students with a valid college ID.
64. Staying organized is important when you're a college student. Evernote offers 50% off a one-year premium subscription to help you keep all of your information in one spot.
65. Resumewriters.com offers college students reduced rates for resumes and resume/cover letter packages.
Paying for college
If you’re looking for discounts on your college tuition, you can always enter to win a scholarship from Nitro.
You might also want to check out the latest deals in private student loans from our trusted and highly vetted lending partners.
Get smart about your college finances. We’re here to help.